Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Wheat isn't what it used to be, and that means trouble

Every time a food we had a symbiotic relationship with over the millennia begins to cause problems, we find that someone has messed with it.

Wheat is a cornerstone of our civilization, but the wheat we eat today has had some serious chemistry done to it so it is better suited to mass production, harvesting etc. So says the following article.

The article then goes on to describe the savagery done by wheat and its breakdown compounds in our guts. This is an article every bread lover should read before taking another bite.

Because it's not just what is happening in the gut. Wheat has on of the highest glycemic index values of any of the foods we eat, right up there with candy. And that means it contributes to big bellies and the packing of fat into visceral cavities.

Here's the link to the article: You Should Probably Stop Eating Wheat.


Back in 2006 I had to stop eating wheat. It was hard but not as hard as enduring the pain and intestinal distress, even bleeding, I experienced every time I ate it. I have not had wheat (except by accident) since. I don't miss it. It is not tempting. I am over it.

So I found this article fascinating because now I realize I might have avoided all sorts of other ills, too, including diabetes.

Well, just read the article. And then leave a comment here or share this post with your friends. Peg

No comments: